Multifocal Lens (Smart Lens)
Multifocal Lens; It is defined as a special intraocular lens that can show near and far at the same time.
What Are The Advantages Of Multifocal Lens?
- People with vision defects used two separate glasses for both farsightedness (nearsightedness) and nearsightedness (farsightedness) until recently.
- Afterwards, this situation was tried to be solved with a single pair of glasses that provide both distance and near vision. However, with the advancing technology, significant positive contributions have been made to these problems in both the vision and comfort of the person, thanks to the Multifocal lens, namely Smart lenses.
- Thanks to the rings in the intraocular lens, the person has the opportunity to see both near and far. Multifocal lenses reduce or eliminate the need for glasses or contact lenses.
- One of the most important features of these lenses is; In patients who need cataract surgery, during the procedure, cataract is eliminated and a solution has been found for the defects in distance or near visions. This situation provides a great advantage for the person being treated.
- Another important detail in the multifocal lens method is; the size of the individual’s pupils and whether he or she has any other eye disorder / condition.
- Since the lens to be placed in the eye will remain in the eye of the person throughout life, your specialist will make the right lens selection for you after all the necessary tests and controls to be performed at this point.
- Since smart lenses are designed to facilitate the operation and allow it to be completed in a short time, the person can return to his normal life immediately after the operation.
What Are The Types And Features Of Intraocular Lens?
Monofocal lens: As the name suggests, they are single-focal lenses that allow the person to see far, but require glasses to be used to see near.
Bifocal lens: These are the lenses that the person sees both near and far without glasses but cannot see the distance between 40 cm and 2 meters.
Trifocal lens: This type of lens is three-focus lenses that offer a definite solution. The person can see far
and close without any distance limitation. Another feature of this lens is; It has the ability to protect your eyes from the harmful rays of the sun and also from diseases that may occur due to age. Trifocal lenses are used in people over 50 years of age with cataracts.
As an exception, laser surgeries such as Lasik are not very suitable for patients over the age of 40, and cataract surgery can be performed in patients who do not want to use near and far glasses and who experience impaired vision before cataract formation, and such lenses can be applied.
For detailed information about the multifocal lens, you can contact us by clicking the link.